Friday, February 5, 2010

Losing Control Never Looked So Good

If there's a specific moment where you give your life up, I haven't put my finger on it, yet.

The concept of "Losing your life" is amorphous, yet I can almost reach out and touch it. The moment you realize that nothing you do for yourself matters is the same moment you realize, as in Hannah Hurnard's Hinds' Feet on High Places, that it is "happy to love." After you surrender, you know that there will be more joy and satisfaction in your life than you've ever known, and that it will just keep growing.

It hardly makes sense! If you lose everything that gives you control, or maybe just orients you in reality as you know it to be, what comes afterward? What specifically brings the joy and satisfaction? It's like flinging yourself off a cliff only to land on a precipice. You do the appointed task there, and then jump off again.

You know, I've never been much of a thrill seeker, but it would be the greatest honor to be given the power to finally jump.

I don't think it is a lighting bolt moment...simply the end of one process, and the beginning of a new one.

That, dear reader, is pretty exciting.

1 comment:

  1. I love that book. God always uses it to minister to me and continue to break more chains. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, or send via telepathy. But don't be rude!

Personal attacks, trolling, spam and anonymous posts will be deleted.