Sunday, March 14, 2010

Utterly Despicable!

My writing prof sent us this link today as an example of how we can use our skills to get the word out about these awful things.

I had marginal knowledge of this infanticide; this is the first time I've ever read an in-depth article about it. I think I stayed naive for longer than most people do, but let me tell you, my bubble burst awhile ago. Human nature is bad.

Even though--since my Sunday school days--I acknowledged that we were born into sin, I subconsciously held to what I call the "Diary of Anne Frank" principle. The last two lines of the well-known play are as follows:

Anne: In spite of everything, I still believe people are really good at heart.
Mr. Frank: She puts me to shame.

I try to give humans the benefit of the doubt, which very quickly turns into believing that humanity is overall decent. Call me a cynic (well, don't, if you can help it), but the world is not decent at all. Not like I thought as a child, or a teenager, or a freshman in college.

There really is a war raging underneath the realm of the visible, and it is in the heart of man. We are as capable of hateful hurt and violence as we are of profound and abiding love.

There is hope in the gospel, and really, that's all I have to lean on when it comes down to it.

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience." (Romans 8:15-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, or send via telepathy. But don't be rude!

Personal attacks, trolling, spam and anonymous posts will be deleted.