Sunday, May 23, 2010

Proper Idol Worship

[I removed the denominational joke in this post. It could have come across as a jab and I certainly didn't intend it to be so. Very sorry, dear reader!]

Some thoughts on idolatry are appropriate, in light of the last post. Idols come in all shapes and sizes--big, round Buddhas, cows made out of Israelite gold...I digress, dear reader.

In all seriousness, idolatry is hard to identify. Someone who unwittingly chooses a life of slavery will not, at first, recognize he's enslaved. 

Idols look so innocent! I mean, Satan's not stupid; it's not like he's going to try to reel us in with something that looks horrible and smells disgusting. The Word says he disguises himself as an angel of light; correspondingly, he presents sin in a seductively lovely package. For instance, the Peacemaker Ministries video we saw today mentions that order and responsibility can become an idol to a perfectionist, and even children can become an idol to their mother. The list goes on.

I just finished reading a post on "Gospelized." Hopefully I'm not misreading it, but the post concludes that if we are (in this case) abstaining from sex before marriage for the sake of abstinence rather than the sake of obeying and glorifying God, it will backfire. That being said, now is a good time to evaluate the seemingly good things in our lives that may be misdirected--the things we've made into big, round Buddhas and cows made out of Israelite gold.

Time for a fun little quiz! Fill in the blanks:

I am constantly preoccupied thinking about _________.
I only ___________, I would truly be happy.
If ___________ doesn't happen, I am resentful.
If ___________ doesn't happen, I am fearful.

I had to laugh at myself after I looked at these questions. It was funny until I actually had to deal with them. The video talked about the progression of idols--things we trust, fear and serve--from their inception (blue equals my notes):
"I desire"(not necessarily bad things) >> "I demand" (I deserve this! I can't be happy unless...) >> "I judge" >> "I punish" (It's your fault! You're not giving me what I need! Take that!)

In the words of my lil' brother (or lil' brudder, for you Homestar Runner fans), let's kick this pig! There's more to life than petty obsession. I won't understand that entirely until Heaven, but it's nice to have a head start.

P.S. To clarify, the speaker did provide the following Biblical responses, which are truly happy and hopeful - confess, repenting and receiving God's forgiveness, and worship and delight in the Lord (Ps. 37:4). Jaimie Krycho, out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, or send via telepathy. But don't be rude!

Personal attacks, trolling, spam and anonymous posts will be deleted.