Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Not-so-happy Mail

Chelsea to me at Homeland: "I love going grocery shopping with fellow penny pinchers."

---

Happy 100th post, Refining Process! I have just added you to the long list of inanimate objects I speak to!

Hi, dear reader. I received one of my short stories back today, the one my professor Mel said he thought had a high chance of getting published. He joked that there is no justice in the world if it didn't.

The story was rejected. I summarily sent Mel an email saying there must not be any justice in the world.

I happily acknowledge that errs a little on the melodramatic side. I am truly disappointed, though. I just got back from lunch with Karen where I was gushing about how much I love to write. During the drive home, I chewed on some wonderful, colorful plot ideas and was ready to hop onto the couch and start typing furiously.

Unfortunately, I blow such big bubbles that it doesn't take much to burst them! I'll keep writing and writing, because that's what I do, but I need to take an hour to recover from the keen letdown of someone rejecting the thing I poured my heart into.

Hey, is that how guys feel when they're turned down for a date?

2 comments:

  1. It varies from guy to guy and depends on how much emotional investment he has in the friendship. Consequently, it is not easy to categorize. Generally, disappointment is a universal experience, so I imagine it's not too far of a stretch to put yourself in a guy's shoes regarding that particular situation.
    Thanks for the post! You can tell Chelsea that I would like shopping with penny pinchers too if I actually liked shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually worse. Those rejections are most often face to face.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, or send via telepathy. But don't be rude!

Personal attacks, trolling, spam and anonymous posts will be deleted.