Sunday, January 24, 2010

Keeping Sanity Intact

Hello, dear reader. After all that talk about rest, I have made a decision:

I will keep a Sabbath day.

Trust me, this is not an easy task, especially for a type A person like me! However, I would argue that it's type A people who need a specified day of rest the most. I told myself, year after year, that I was going to reserve Sunday for true relaxation (read: NO HOMEWORK). The end of every week was burdensome to me, as I toiled over reading the last passages and completing the last assignments. The stress and pressure left me feeling exhausted and pessimistic about the upcoming Monday.

Stress is not a fruit of the Spirit; this I know! While a Sabbath won't dissolve the perfectionism and fear that lie behind my stress, I can already see that--on my first day of keeping Sunday open--there is great merit in the idea.

Thank the Lord. Like I facebooked the other day (Chris, there's your verb)...

By God's grace, life keeps getting better: not less difficult, not less confusing, not less emotional, but definitely better.

Yeah. Middle school is rock-hard evidence of that.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen a lot of my friends decide to do no work on the Sabbath. It's a surprisingly difficult habit to start but an easy one to keep.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, or send via telepathy. But don't be rude!

Personal attacks, trolling, spam and anonymous posts will be deleted.